Sunday 13 January 2013

Dance Wear On a Budget

We all know how expenses build up when you're a serious dancer. And the high prices of dance wear doesn't help. So here's just what I do so save money when buying dance wear!

I buy almost all of my leotards from America on Ebay. Even though it does take about 2 weeks for them to arrive, the shipping prices are reasonable and the actual prices of the items are low, so all up it costs significantly less then to buy one off the rack here in Australia. But one thing you certainly have to be wary of is that you know the brand of the leotard. I wouldn't recommend buying a no-name brand leotard, because in my experience, so matter how good it looks in pictures, the quality/fit of the leotard is not good. If it's Bloch/Mirella, Capezio/Harmonie, Sansha etc. then go ahead. You can always look up the brand if you're not sure. The only exception to this would probably be tights, just because the no name brands seem to work fine with me. I also like to look up the style number if it's provided to get possibly some other images of the product and sometimes look at the sizing chart if I'm not sure. I've discovered that I'm a medium in camisole leotards, and a small in cap sleeve/tank leotards. But if I'm really unsure, I'll get a medium, that way if it's to big I can take it in to make it fit without having to send it back.

Also keep in mind, some sellers don't accept returns, so if they don't, double check to see if this is really what you want to purchase! I made that mistake when I brought some tights, and didn't realise they were 'ballet pink' and not 'theatrical pink' like I prefer. I received them, then went to see if they accepted returns and they didn't.

Please, never buy pointe shoes from ebay, or any online store if you are new to pointe. This should be self-explanatory. If you do buy flat shoes, it is essential you know the brand is good quality. Again if it's Capezio, Bloch etc. and you've worn that style before and you know what size you are in that style then that's fine, but no no-name brand shoes! It's harder to return shoes because you need to wear them in class to know if they fit properly or not. Once you've worn them in class, they're not refundable.

Some things you need to save up for and spend the money on. Some things are cheap for a reason! Just learn how to know how to buy good quality items and save money at the same time, and know what can be brought online and what can't!

No comments:

Post a Comment